Saturday, July 28, 2012

That's All Folks





I landed in Vancouver on Tuesday, staying with my mother in Squamish until she and Victor (he also landed here on Thursday) find a little time to drive me down to Seattle, so I can pick up a rental to get Wilbur and myself to California.


It was all very sudden, and very sad; I had no idea the people around me would have such an adverse reaction to my departure,tears, love, and even fits. I didn't plan it this way of course, although I was very open about the likelihood of it, no one said or insinuated I should stay, so I didn't think it would matter much…it did... I'm sorry, but who knows, nothing is set in stone. Edward was torn; I knew he was gonna miss Wilbur, he is very loving of animals, I just didn't realize how much. Despite his lifestyle, he was the best room mate, at least for me, we never fought about anything at all, or got in each others way. It was a hassle having to "disappear" every time his girlfriend came over, because of her allergies, but other than that we were like old shoes, just comfortable, and his love of Wilbur was the best part, every other room mate would either ignore him, or complain about him or any pet hair.



It was a series of unfortunate events that made me pick up the phone and call KLM, and once I hung up I felt very sad. 
First was the let down with "ecologistas en accion", even as I was going, I knew it was not gonna be the same as the year before, that had been such an amazing experience, and although there were most of the same people, everything else was lacking, the organizers, different ones this year, couldn't even see it despite complaints; the river wasn't there, so we didn't have a visual cause, something to hold us together, no leaders or sweepers, people going in different directions and getting lost, just chaotic in general. That's not to say there were good moments, of course, the people are still great, but the problems were getting to be more than the fun, and I didn't want to bring anybody down by pointing out all those things, so on day 3, having arrived in Cifuentes, after having a lovely lunch with Marisa, I took a bus to Guadalajara, another to Madrid and yet another to Barcelona.


Next day, I went to the Registro Civil (Government), as I had received a letter from them requesting I bring them my father's paperwork. Now I will remind you this was the reason I was not able to process the spanish citizenship 35 years ago, as I have never met the man, don't know if he is dead or alive or where in the world he may be. I was told before getting started with the paperwork last year that this is no longer a requirement and that I had enough with my mother being spanish. They said if I had good lawyers it would not be a problem, which you can understand how that infuriates me, just that if you're rich you can get away with anything, otherwise "fuck you".


Then as this was boiling in my head, I called Victor in order to let out some steam, and he informs me that he needs to go to Vancouver asap to sort out some personal business, and since he is the only person who is able and willing to help me get all my stuff to the airport by 4am, I would have to wait for him to get back. But no guarantee of when, and since Edward's brother, Henry and his family are going to be occupying my mother's house till September, I would have to wait till after they left. 


Also in previous weeks I had sent out feelers to several friends about the month of August, as this is a month that Spain stands still, what businesses are still left after/during the crisis are closed for summer vacation, everyone vanishes, and I was not able to get any straight answers, and was a bit concerned of being idle for so long. Of course I enjoy swimming in the beach, but I would go early in the mornings, as dogs are not allowed when the sunbathers are around. So…here I am.


I will be forever thankful of those who made my stay all that more enjoyable, #1 Edward, #2 Victor; the neighbors: Sr Isidoro, Zaira, Ana and other premianencs; as my son put "exceptional" people: Jordi Gascon, Maite and Xavi; the weekend saviors: Carme and her dog Nala, Alicia, Berta and Eloi; those linedancing folks: Merche, Tere, Rosa, Gloria, Carmenes; Albert, who despite being so busy always checked up on me; Esther and her entire culé family; my english students: Maria, Natalia, Lidia, Jordi and Hector, my new "eco" friends that inspire me so: Marisa, Annelies, Paca, Concha, Iosu, Maria Antonia, Mamen, Jon, Diego, Lidia…the list goes on…love you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hZrXdJ-ibo

4 comments:

  1. lamento tan horrible traducción.
    tiene cancer y esta ingresado en "la PAZ" hospital de madrid
    bssss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well im glad your back. Let's see what we can do to generate some income inducing action. Welcome to the revolution de la luz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well im glad your back. Let's see what we can do to generate some income inducing action. Welcome to the revolution de la luz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. revolution de la luz? don't know what that is, but sounds good to me

    ReplyDelete