Friday, February 11, 2011

home sick? me?

I was talking to Deborah on Skype just yesterday, I was confessing some sadness about not being back in Marin, and how we miss going to Mill Valley Dog Park, as she's been going to Sausalito recently.
I didn't think much about being home sick before, since I've moved around so much. I do remember feeling a sense of calm every time I went home the three and half years I lived in Hermosa Beach. I convinced myself it was the sight and smell of the ocean so close that made me feel warm and fuzzy.


My grandmother Adela would get homesick when she was away from Spain too long. And Deborah mentioned that when she tried to live back in New York, she just couldn't do it anymore. Damn California, you've spoilt us rotten.


However when I first came to live in the USA, I must say, it took me about 3 or more years to not miss Barcelona. Right now, to tell you the truth, I can't stand it; I like going out of the city. Like yesterday morning for example, Albert was going to Vilanova i la Geltru, a large town about 1/2 hour south to film Lost in London, a play by one of his theatre companies, so I tagged along and took Wilbur for a walk on the beach, and it just feels good to be out, away from the tall buildings and traffic. Sorry I forgot to take my camera, but here's a link to Pasifae , she was the wife of Minos, King of Crete, she became madly obsessed with this large white bull; anyway I could see this huge bull sculpture at a distance, right by the water, and I came closer to see that she was actually inside the bull's stomach.




The previous day I was meeting Hugo for lunch, somewhere along the Rambla de Catalunya, which is one of the popular downtown streets. Hugo had been waiting to get his work visa renewed to go back to San Francisco, usually once every three years, this time took longer than in the past (possibly due to furloughs?). We sat outside as the weather was pleasant enough, and order "el menu del dia" which was cream of zucchini and sole with salad. 




After we drove up to Parc Guell for a stroll, this is another of Gaudi's masterpieces, which was supossed to be a whole development of maybe 100 homes and finally only 3 were built. I hadn't been up there in over 20 years, so it was a treat.
















5 comments:

  1. it takes at least one year to establish a network.
    how is the job search going? Thees visa takes time to get but so does la plata.

    remember one of big reasons for going to spain. 00xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you too - looks like you are reconnecting! Wish I was THERE! It's been really nice here - warm and sunny - but my bossman has been in town and it's feeling like the gerbil on the wheel the last week. XO-Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember so well being places around the world i dreamed all of my life about being and not being able to feel the wonder of it, sense the air on my skin, appreciate the scents from the street vendors, care about masterpieces once only picures in books now a hair's breath away. Try Carmen, try to live this. No one is going anywhere back here. We will all be, everything will all be the same. Sigh. Hugs. EGYPT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks y'all
    I just had a very good weekend that has re-energyed me, at least a few more days

    ReplyDelete
  5. Relax, enjoy, breathe, reduce all expectations, and like everyone above has said...these things take time.
    XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete