Thursday, April 28, 2011

Madrid-0 / Barca-2

I know I want to live outside the city, however last night I was reminded of one of the bright sides of the urban lifestyle, as I walked home (Belen’s home) from having watched the Champions semi-final between Madrid and Barcelona. The joy of the resulting score, and seeing Mourinho’s face contort was only intensified and prolongued by the sharing the experience with several thousand others. When we exited Edward’s building, and just a few steps away, we were greeted with hugs and smiles from a couple of Pericos or Periquitos, which is the name for the Espanyol team, the other pro soccer club in Barcelona, not that they enjoy cheering for FCB, but as a co-Catalan team, they will celebrate too. I’ve been told by several fans, Pericos and Cules (the name of the FCB fan) that during the World Cup, these fans would cheer for FCBarcelona, rather than Spain, as 9 of the 11 players were in fact from FCB, because politics from Madrid have had they’re way for so many decades. Besides, to quote Pep Guardiola in the press conference the day before, lets not forget Mourinho’s Madrid has bought all the big names in soccer, Ozil, Di Maria, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo, Adebayor, Lasa, Carvalho, Benzema, Higuain; while “we” are going out with 9 of the Cantera boys, meaning the home grown talent, that includes Messi, although Argentenian, he came to FCB youth camp at very young age.


The highlight for me and for the player of course, was when at the last minute of the game, Pep subs one of his players for a boy from the youth camp, that was a slap in the face to an obnoxious and arrogant Mourinho.
All the way home, 40 minutes walk, the traffic kept honking, I could have easily gone to Canaletes, which is the spot to go to for everyone after such a victory, and on my way, but Wilbur was awfully nervous from so much comotion, he actually hides under the table while we watch the match, he doesn’t understand our behaviour.
Now, this was only the first half of this semifinal, the one played at Bernabeu, which made it even more exciting, to win the giant, the tremendous talent on their own turf; next week we play here at home, then win or loose, the final against Manchester United, but for the “Cule”, this was the game of all games, to understand this you would have to have heard all of Mourinho’s previous press conferences, and after his words last night, there was talk about sanctions to him by UEFA, something else to look forward to.
More of a bittersweet event earlier the same day, Jordi returned home, I have not spoken to him yet, but I checked his flights back, all on time, which means he’s sleeping with Mowgli right now. Wish I could have celebrated the victory with him, probably try to skype him later today.
Adelina arrived here also, last Sunday night, she’s staying with Victor and Mari, so Jordi was able to see her before leaving, we all had lunch on Tuesday. A few days before coming, she had been stressing out, battling with her laptop, she took that stress with her, and combined with the air pressure on board made for a bad mix and here eye, the one with the recent cataract surgery went balistic, so she went to the emergency room, a few eye drops and ointment worked wonders and back onto the recovery track.
During lunch, we had a bit of a family Pow Wow, as y’all know, my head has been spinning, trying to make the decision, stay here for a year or quit and go back...somewhere. Anyhow, both Victor and Edward have been hoping for me to stay, Albert told Jordi that he would watch over me, and Alicia was waiting for me to take the plunge, so we can get a place with a bit of a garden to share. So yeah, the decision, good or bad, is I will stay here for a year, and then...we’ll see what happens.
I hope to have settled then by June 1st, and then you can feel free to come visit. Speaking of, we saw Lygia and Clara the night before Jordi left, that was nice, although I was hoping to eat at Rekons with them, but forgot that they are closed on Tuesdays. I believe Leah is around here now too, but she hasn’t contacted me yet, but I’ll keep you guys posted.
I have lot’s more coming soon, all stuff that we did with Jordi, so I need to back track a bit, but I have to go to lunch now, I have people waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment