Saturday, January 22, 2011

on the plane

I have driven, or in this case been driven to SFO airport countless times; the first 12 years of living in the US, as I worked in receptive tourism, I probably went at least once everyday. But this time felt different, we left with plenty of time, even stopped a couple of times along the way, so it was relaxed, at least for me, Beth was still dealing with the occasional annoying driver, immersed in their cell phone conversation, oblivious to the rest of the world. 
I began to observe everything around me, as a lifetime of memories, stages of my life, 7 years in Larkspur, driving Jordi to soccer practice in Corte Madera, the Mill Valley Dog Park, which, BTW I saw myself in one of the recent pictures that Fred took over the 15th anniversary that he posted on yesterday, proof that I was there. One more time over the amazing GGBridge, I never understood why, other than perhaps paying the toll, how some people complain, avoid going to San Francisco, when it is such a treat to take in. The GG Parc, where paid $20 to reserve space for  Jordi’s 5th birthday party, and 19th ave, not a fan, most times I would take Sunset Ave instead. We pulled out on Serramonte to stop at PetSmart, as I forgot to grab some grub  for Wilbur, not that I needed it, but “just in case”, that brought back memories from when Yaya, or as Jordi called her Yaya Grossa would take a bus to go to that shopping center, and later I would go pick her up; she didn’t buy anything, she simply enjoyed going places, and a mall was just as good a place as any for her; when I wasn’t busy, on those rare occasions I would drive her along the coast or mountains, it didn’t matter where, she liked to be driven a look out the window.
The airport has been remodeled and extended over the years, unfortunately it is still an ugly place, just concrete everywhere, I tried to get Wilbur to go pipi before placing him in the kennel, he was already upset at me when he saw me putting that thing together, I kept saying: “go potty”, he was looking at me like: “are you kidding?”. I gave up, we went on the big hill this morning and that was going to be it. He has a travel companion, a super fluffy beautiful 11 week old white and black Aussie (this is no rescue, someone actually came all the way here to get him).
After security, I had a tortilla soup at Andale Mexican food, and I was pleasantly surprised. Lost track of time a bit, the aircraft was all boarded up when I got to the gate. I thought that perhaps this airline may a more leg room...not so much, but as it is not full they spread us out, so it is more comfortable.
Almost two hours into the flight, and the captain announces first in german and then english, that he already has turned the plain back to SFO, as one side of the jet is not de-freezing, and we have yet to travel over cold areas. What’s more surprising as I’m chatting with my neighbor is that nobody on board is complaining, everyone is calm, if we had italians instead of germans this would be much more entertaining. 
We start to get up to take photos, as a few minutes later the captain announces he needs to dump fuel in order to land safely, and you guys should see this, it’s like those firemen hoses trying to put out a burning building, but it’s freaking fuel, not very eco for sure. Check it out, that stream of white at the end of the wing...

..................................................................................................................................................

Well, I don’t want to bore you with painful details, but I’m in Frankfurt now, 6 hours later and my new connecting flight isn’t for another 3, and all I can think about is Mari’s “sepia and mandoguilles”, wish I had them right now; but if all goes well from now I won’t get to my uncle’s home till after midnight. They told me they have an animal lounge here, but I can’t visit it. I will say this, if you ever plan a trip connecting through this airport, don’t...it’s the worst I’ve ever seen.
oh! and Linda, sorry for not calling you back, my phone died as soon as we hung up, and so did my aisle companion’s.

3 comments:

  1. Carmen. So how did Wilbur do? What he just beside himself to see you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. he´s fine, I´ll but he held his bladder the entire time. it´s possible someone took him out in Frankfurt, that´s what they said anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. miss you!!
    have a great rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete