Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sagrada Familia

I've decided to skip a few days because I simply don't have time, at least not right now, maybe later I will revisit some events.


Currently I'm staying with Albert and Mar, which is better for me in some ways (wireless, heat, convenient location), but also less convenient for Wilbur, although there are many small dogs areas everywhere, we need to walk further to go to a larger park, like "Parc de l'Estacio del Nord".


Yesterday I spent most of the day with Maica, an old friend from highschool, and in the evening we went to get Wilbur and took him over to another friend's, Maite, also from highschool, coincidentally it happened to be her birthday. It amazes me, how easy we get along, it's as if we can just pick up where we left off, even though we hadn't seen each other in over 30 years.


This morning I had my own plans, and since most people have a hard time getting up early on the weekend  here, and I was not will to go late in order to avoid crowds. The Sagrada Familia, is one of the more visited churches in the world. Antoni Gaudi, was a unique architect from the turn of the past century, during the Art Noveau period, a similar movement in Barcelona named Modernisme, incorporated Nature in all it's form, so building had very organic shapes. 
reflection in the pond





Like many other geniuses in those days, Gaudi had health problems as a young man, and died after being hit by a street car, but because of his fashion sense, he was mistaken for a homeless person, and his friends discovered his absence 3 days later.


The construction of the Sagrada Familia, came to a halt due to bad economy, and during the Franco Reign of 40 years. I remember playing hide and seek with my friends in those first older towers as a teenager, as the building was abandoned. So it's quite exciting to see the transformation.


the Eucharist 
January 2011 started with the exciting news that the interior of the building was finally completed. However the exterior will be completed by 2025. To celebrate, the city was offering free Saturday visits during the entire month, and today was the last, so I was not going to miss the opportunity.


It feels like you're in the woods, with very tall concrete trees.

emergency exit
the alter
the windows
the elevator
the ceiling
exit door
A large part of the flooring is cork.
Now I will step outside to show you some of the sculptures.








pretty cool, don't you think?
                                        


1 comment:

  1. Very cool momma! I can't wait to see it with my own eyes. Carrying fists full of Pans & co

    ReplyDelete